When it comes to tailoring your clothes, you can pretty much tailor anything. Going to see a tailor in Cape May County and having your clothes altered ensures that the clothing you put on your body fits exactly as it should, making you look your best. While you can certainly tailor anything, there are certain pieces of clothing that you should absolutely have tailored.
Suits, no matter if it’s men’s or women’s, are an absolute must-tailor item. It’s very difficult to find a good suit off the rack that fits a person perfectly. Whether you’re looking for a tuxedo for a wedding or a good work suit, getting it tailored will speak volumes when you put it on. Here are some things you need to do when tailoring a suit:
- Narrow the sleeves: Sleeves shouldn’t be super tight, but they shouldn’t be baggy.
- Shorten the sleeves: The appropriate length should allow about a half-inch of the shirt cuff to be seen.
- Jacket length: Length can be tricky, but the main rule is that the jacket should cover your buttocks.
- Take in from shoulder: You don’t want to look like a linebacker, so make sure the shoulder pads end where your shoulders naturally stop.
- Pant length: This is typically up to you but the main rule is that the pant hits the top of your heel and naturally sits at the top of your shoes.
- Take in or let out the waist: You want to make sure you are comfortable whether you are sitting, standing or walking.
- Narrow the pant leg: Similar to the arm, the leg shouldn’t be too loose or too tight.
These pointers also work if you are looking to alter jeans, slacks or dress pants and other types of bottoms.
Dresses take a little bit more planning and since there are so many different designs, necklines and patterns, it’s hard to choose pointers that fit across the board, but there are a couple things to consider when looking to alter any type of dress:
- Take off or add length: When looking to alter a dress, bring the shoes with that you are planning on wearing. If it’s a floor length gown, make sure the hem just sits at the ground. If it’s higher, alter it to your taste.
- Take in or let out the waist: The waist is typically the slimmest part of any women’s body. The waist should be fitted and should be comfortable whether you’re walking, sitting, dancing or standing.
No matter what you are looking to have altered, it’s important that the article of clothing fits you comfortably and makes you feel confident in what you are wearing. Work with your local tailor in Cape May County and start feeling good in your clothes today. There’s no better feeling than when your clothing fits you the way it should and screams confidence. Get your clothes tailored today and see how much better you can feel!