Too often, people throw away or just stop wearing perfectly good clothes because of a minor problem that would take a tailor less than an hour to fix. As we tailors in Cape May County know, there are a lot of simple fixes tailors can easily and affordably provide that too many people just don’t know about. If you’re looking to save money, hold on to clothing you like and not have to spend your valuable time shopping for new clothes, here are some simple alterations and repairs that can easily be done by tailors in Cape May County and all over:
- Pant length: If you’ve been spending your life rolling up the ends of your jeans or wearing long socks to cover your two inches of exposed ankles, then you’ve been putting up with a problem that would’ve taken your local tailor half and hour to fix. One of the most basic things a tailor does is lengthening or shortening pants, and if you’ve never taken advantage of that, then you’re missing out.
- Adjusting jacket torso: Whether it’s a blazer, pea coat or tux jacket, just about any jacket can be adjusted in the torso. Some people put up with never buttoning their jackets because they don’t quite fit around the torso. Conversely, some endure baggy jacket torsos because the jacket fits properly otherwise. But bringing your jacket by the tailor will give you a custom jacket fit for a very reasonable price.
- Reweaving holes: One of the most common reasons people throw away or stop wearing otherwise perfectly good clothing is that a small hole has developed somewhere on the garment. If you don’t have matching fabric lying around, this problem might seem unfixable, but it’s definitely not. Tailors use a trick called “invisible weaving,” in which they take a bit of fabric from another part of the clothing item where it won’t be missed (such as a pocket or seam) and weave it into the hole to create a seamless patch. This only works for small holes, and it works better with some materials and prints than others. But if one of your favorite garments develops a small hole or tear, it’s certainly worth asking your tailor about.
- Adjusting fit on jeans: Lots of people, especially women, have trouble buying jeans off the rack that perfectly fit their bodies. Jeans are typically made to only fit one body type, but women have many different types of bodies, from hourglass to athletic to pear shaped. If there’s a pair of jeans you love but just don’t fit you in a way that’s flattering or comfortable, that’s no reason not to buy them. A quality tailor can have them fitting you like a glove in no time.
- Buttons and zippers: Most everyone should know that they can have buttons and zippers replaced by their local tailors, but still people put up with safety pins and open jackets for far too long. The moment you notice a missing button, bring your garment by the tailor. You’ll be glad you did.
For all these basic repairs and more, call Court House Cleaners or visit us today.