When it comes to gender differences, there is one thing that almost everyone can agree on: men have it a lot easier than women where clothing is concerned. While women must sift through a wide range of different styles and trends in fashion, a man is pretty much always set as long as he is wearing a suit.
That said, the simplicity of menswear does demand that everything fit impeccably, which is why you need to be on a first name basis with your tailor in Cape May County. To help get you started, here are five basic formal clothing items (beyond the suit) that every man should have, and that should also be well fitted:
- White button downs: Pastels and stripes are great, but few looks can rival the timeless crisp, white button down shirt with the perfectly pressed collar. Even if you favor more colorful items, your closet should always be equipped with at least a couple of white button down shirts that fit perfectly, especially in the neck, arms and stomach. The era when shirts that billowed at the waist were acceptable is long gone.
- Three ties: Ties are a fun way to express your own personality even when you’re stuck in a simple black suit. But if you are the type of guy who only wears a suit three or four times a year, then three ties is all you need: one in a dark, neutral shade for funerals and job interviews, one in a festive print for weddings and parties and one bowtie, in case you are invited to a black tie event (you can rent the tuxedo).
- Blue blazer: In addition to one perfectly fitting, neutral suit, you should also have a blue, black or gray blazer handy for those occasions that aren’t quite formal enough for a suit, but still significant enough that shirt sleeves or a sweater just won’t do. Examples of such an occasion include a first date, dinner at a classy restaurant or any casual event your boss invites you to.
- Khakis: Think of khakis as the pant version of a blue blazer: a versatile solution for all those in-between occasions. These pants can be found at virtually any clothing store and at every price point, and can be easily dressed up or down depending on the event. Make sure you always have at least two pairs of clean, perfectly fitted khakis in your closet.
- Watch: Okay, this is not exactly a clothing item, and most guys these days can get by with the clock on their cell phone. But a quality watch isn’t just about telling you the time—it’s about completing your look the same way a cherry completes a sundae. If you want to look classic, sophisticated and like you don’t only dress up for weddings and funerals, invest in a formal watch.
No matter how fashionable you may be, looking good always starts with clothes that fit well. Bring all your formal wear to Court House Cleaners, your tailor in Cape May County, for a great fit every time.